Thursday, May 22, 2008

Vung Tau lighthouses



The light from the Vung Tau lighthouse can be seen 56 km away at sea
The coastal province Ba Ria – Vung Tau neighboring Ho Chi Minh City has a number of lighthouses including Vung Tau, Ba Kiem, Cao Trang, Ganh Rai, Can Gio, and Con Son 1 and 2.

Three of these are in Vung Tau Town.

Cao Trang lighthouse is on the western point of Vung Tau on Tran Phu Road, about 6 km north of Nui Nho (Small Mountain).

It was the second lighthouse to be built in the town in 1898, after Vung Tau lighthouse.

The original tower had square sides and was painted black and white.

In 2007 it was replaced by a hexagonal tower, painted white with blue trim.

Ganh Rai lighthouse is also on Tran Phu Road, not far from Cao Trang.

Built in 1911, the lighthouse is still in use, guiding ships into the harbor.

The 14-meter tower is painted white and dark green.

The most historic and beautiful lighthouse in the beach town is the Vung Tau Lighthouse.

From Ha Long Street, take the turn just after the Hai Dang cafe and you will find it at the end of the road.

The white tower, standing above the trees on Nui Nho, is of postcard perfection.

In 1992, its image was used for a postal stamp.

Built in 1865 it was Vung Tau’s first lighthouse and it has guided ships through the night for over a century.

The tower was rebuilt in 1885, and lastly again in 1913.

Open daily for visitors it is 170 meters above sea level.

There’s a narrow staircase so you can inspect the lamp and enjoy the panoramic view of the town and sea.

It’s light can be seen from 56 km offshore.

How to get there

Buses to Vung Tau are available at Ben Xe Mien Dong (East Bus Station) every 15 minutes from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Try Rang Dong, Mai Linh or Thien Phu bus lines.

Cost: VND55,000 per person.

The express hydrofoil is available at Bach Dang Wharf for VND140,000 per person.

Source: TPO